Swelling of the feet happens due to varied reasons like injuries, standing for a long period or even in case of pregnancy.
It is not a life threatening issue, and could be found quite commonly amongst the masses.
But sometimes this could lead to serious ailments such as heart diseases, kidney or liver failure.
This usually happens when an excessive amount of fluid is produced in the tissues of legs and feet.
If this happens coupled along with fever or high blood pressure then it’s a danger signal for the body.
In such a case one should immediately consult the doctor.
8 Natural Remedies For Swollen Feet:
1. Use of Cabbage: Putting cabbage leaves around the swollen feet is an uncommon, but effective way to drain out the collected fluid. All you have to do is put some cabbage in fridge and then wrap it around the feet for half an hour. Keep your feet raised for that duration. This procedure will provide relief from swelling.
2. Epsom Salt Soaking: Put a few cups of Epsom salt in a bathtub or a basin and dip the swollen feet in it. This helps in swelling reduction and blood circulation. Another advantage of this procedure is that it makes the skin soft and removes bad odor.
3. Baking Powder Paste: Two basic kitchen ingredients which could be very useful for treatment of swollen feet are rice and baking powder. Boil some rice and add baking powder to it. Let it cool and then apply the mixture on your feet.
4. Tonic Water Soak: Tonic water is also known as a natural inflammatory because of its quinine content. Dousing ones feet in its solution, either warm or cold could be beneficial. Its foamy carbonation provides relief to the swollen area.
5. Consumption of water: Consumption of 8-10 glass of water a day is very healthy and could be equally effective for swollen feet. It rids the body of harmful chemicals and also prevents swelling of feet due to dehydration.
6. Eucalyptus Foot Bath: Pour a few drops of Eucalyptus oil in a foot bath and douse your feet in it for 15-20 minutes. It’s a quick and effective remedy for swelling. Adding inflammatory oils like chamomile and lavender makes it even more effective due to their essential properties and soothing aromas. This will provide relief in pain and relax the body and mind.
7. Cold Compress: This could be the simplest and the most basic methods for curbing swelling. Just put some ice in a towel and apply it on the swollen feet until the pain and the swelling is reduced.
8. Magnesium Supplement: Magnesium deficiency is one of the major problem which leads to swelling. It also disturbs the blood circulation cycle. Take magnesium supplements of 200gm twice in a day or eat food which is loaded with magnesium. Some examples are nuts, seeds, fish, avocados and vegetable including the dark leafy ones.
These are few of the basic home remedies which are easily accessible and do not require too much effort. You could also use all these remedies for treating swelling in other parts of your body.
Source: Healthy Habits Team;